Gateway Primary needs your helping hand!
The word Gateway implies that there is a pathway ahead. An assumed opening up into something exciting. But for Gateway Primary School the path is paved with struggle.
Gateway was set up as a temporary school in 2012, with just over 400 learners. Hasty structures were erected to contain the overflow of pupils from Abedare Primary School, up the road.
As of May 2016 there are 1 487 children in the school. And it is still classified as a temporary school!
1 200 pupils are on the school feeding scheme. This is their only guarantee of one decent meal per day.
86 children in one classroom. Over 90 in the room next door! Just one teacher per class, no matter how huge.
As a temporary school, Gateway does not get the benefits of sportsfield’s, computer rooms, a school hall and more.
- computers or iPads,
- astro turf to create a synthetic oval
- benches and tables for the children
- a proper playground with climbing structures instead of their bleak, concrete schoolyard…….
- funding for choir robes and more
But no matter how tough the environment, this school has heart. With incredibly dedicated teachers and a principal who radiates pride at the achievements of their choir and their fledgling soccer team. Even in the toughest environment, stars will shine. And they shine brightly at Gateway Primary.
PLEASE HELP US TO HELP GATEWAY PRIMARY SCHOOL
The school only has 3 cleaners for 1 487 children!
Please Link your Love.
- R100 buys a day of work for a cleaner at the school.
- R100 buys a day of work for a gardener to help in their small veggie garden
- R100 buys a day of work for a classroom assistant
- R100 buys a day of work for a handyman to attend to all the maintenance
Your R100 a day also puts food on the table of an unemployed person today.
Visit our Link of Love page to make a donation.
For more stories on our wonderful school shoes campaign for all our other Link of Love schools in Hanover Park, Hout Bay and Athlone, take a look at our other success stories.